A chocolatey hill filled with bananas and a delicious chocolate chip cream. The vegan mole cake without any baking mix. Do you know this German cake?
In Germany the mole cake is a typical baking mix. You can buy it everywhere. I’m not a fan of baking mixes though, but I love this cake! And my boyfriend, too. Every year on his birthday, he wishes for a mole cake. A few years ago I decided to do it without a baking mix and bake it on my own. The result of the vegan mole cake was better than the original and even more easy to bake. Since this day I’ve never bought the mix again.
Another benefit from homemade baking: changing the flavor is very easy! Instead of the bananas you can use any fruit that you like for the vegan Mole Cake. Berries, cherries, fruit compote or peaches? No problem! My favorite version is to put some extra chocolate into the cream. I used cocoa powder, as you can see in the recipe.
Another really delicious version of the vegan mole cake is with blueberry and plum compote.
If you’d like to see how I make my photos, check out A Look Behind My Camera for some insights.
For the base of the cake:
- 1 banana (ripe - or 150 g applesauce)
- 220 g flour
- 30 g cacao (raw)
- 70 g sugar
- 75 g oil
- 130 ml nut milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple vinegar
For the filling:
- 400-500 ml plant-based whip cream
- 2 portions cream stiffener
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 tsp cacao
- 100 g dark chocolate (grated)
- 2 bananas
- Blend bananas, sugar, oil & milk. Add vinegar.
- Mix flour, cacao & baking powder and add it to the mixture. Mix again.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Whip cream with cacao, cream stiffener, sugar and add the grated chocolate carefully.
- Scoop out the top of the cake and cover the bottom with halved bananas.
- Add the whipped cream and form a little hill. Crumble the remaining cake
and sprinkle it on the cream hill.