The asparagus season is my favorite in the whole year! And I’m really sad when it’s over. But probably the asparagus would not be so special if it would always exist. Anyway, we have something to eat with green asparagus at least every second day.
The way of preparation and the combination with other foods varies from time to time. Accordingly, I have already tried a lot and I want to show you the tastiest way for me to prepare green asparagus: in the oven! I prefer to marinate the asparagus with some good olive oil and, most importantly, the right spices.
My favorite combination of spices for this recipe: lemon peel, pepper, nutmeg, parsley and salt.
Let’s get to the side dish. In the picture you can see mashed potatoes. Classically cooked from floury-boiled potatoes, milk, butter, salt and nutmeg. For me, that’s the perfect combination. Mashed potatoes with oven roasted asparagus. Sometimes I add a grilled halloumi. But I am someone who is completely satisfied with the “side dishes”, so I often do not need a substitute for meat or fish. How is it with you? Do you need your piece of meat/tofu/cheese or something similar or are you happy with simple mashed potatoes with asparagus?
Other proven combinations:
- for pizza (use pesto instead of tomato sauce!)
- with oven-potatoes
- on savory crepes
- as filling for tortilla wraps (with fresh spinach, avocado and halloumi!)
- stir-fried with spaetzle or gnocchi (add some cream cheese to make a sauce)
Recipe for two servings of oven roasted asparagus
- 1 bunch of green asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- lemon peel, pepper, nutmeg, parsley and salt
- Wash the asparagus and remove the woody ends.
- Cut peeled onios into quarters. Peel and squeeze the garlic.
- Put everything together in an oven dish and mix well.
- Bake at 180° C | 360° F for about 15-20 minutes.