Spring is full of delicious seasons. Wild garlic, asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, .. and then of course the rhubarb. He is definitely always a bit underrated, but do not ask me why. With the help of this galette, I once again realized how delicious it is. Maybe I can make a few more recipes this year, until the season is over on June 24th in Germany.
But now to this wonderful Galette.
A galette is actually a buckwheat crêpe and comes from France.
Basically does not have much to do with what you see here. Because my galette is not a crêpe, but rather a tart. Only without a form. Why is it called galette? Maybe because the dough edges are folded, which also happens with the buckwheat crêpe. But honestly, I do not know exactly. But it’s not important. Only the taste is essential and that is really good!
The short pastry has succeeded this time very well. Most of the time I just throw some flour, butter and sugar together and hope it will make a nice short pastry. This time I’ve added oats, sliced almonds and a little yoghurt to the dough. The result really blew me away! Super crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. That’s the way it has to be!
The filling is the easiest on such a galette/tart. Wash the rhubarb and cut into small pieces, place with some raspberries on the rolled out dough, sprinkle a little sugar over it and that’s it.
For a visual highlight, you can of course put the rhubarb in a nice pattern on the dough. I have decided for a very simple pattern, but it looks really beautiful, I think. For this pattern I cut the rhubarb stakes diagonally into pieces. One half in one direction and the other half in the other direction. So then always fit two different pieces with the cutting edge together and become an arrow. Sounds a lot more complicated now than it actually is.
Recipe for a galette (20 cm diameter)
- 100 g of flour (spelled)
- 50 g cold butter / margarine
- 20 g oats
- 20 g sliced almonds
- 50 g sugar
- 1 tbsp yoghurt (vegan)
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of ground vanilla
- about 4 rods of rhubarb
- a handful of raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp almond slices
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl (cut the butter into small pieces or roughly grate) and quickly knead with your hands. Cool this for 20-30 minutes.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of the dough aside, roll out the remaining dough about 1-2 mm.
- Put the raspberries on the dough. Leave 5 cm to the edge.
- Clean rhubarb and cut into pieces of equal size. Put on the raspberries. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over it.
- Fold over the edges of the dough so that the fruit filling is covered 2 cm.
- Crumble the remaining dough on the transition between dough and filling.
- Brush the rim with almond milk and then sprinkle the almond slices over it. Finally, sprinkle some sugar over the edges.
- Bake the galette at preheated 175° C/350° F convection for about 35 minutes until the dough is nice and golden brown. Cool down a little bot before removing from the baking sheet.